Wednesday 28 December 2011

Book 59, Country 65 - New Zealand

Tu by Patricia Grace - first published 2004

I thought this novel was going to be set in New Zealand.  However in the opening chapter Tu, youngest of 3 Maori brothers, joins the army and sets off for Italy in 1943.  Half of the book is set in Italy, including the battle to capture Monte Cassino (in gory detail) but the other half is the story of Tu and his brothers Rangi and Pita's childhood, first in an unnamed place and then in Wellington after the death of their father.  The book offers an insight into Maori culture and traditions.  I was unaware that Maoris had fought for the Allies in the Second World War.  The story was a bit laboured in places but overall it was ok.  This was the only book of my journey so far that I haven't been able to borrow from my local library.  6/10

20th December 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment