Monday 10 October 2011

Book 56 - Country 62 - The Philippines

The Tesseract by Alex Garland - first published 1998

This book is quite a gripping read but I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it, as it includes several sudden violent deaths.  There are 3 seemingly unrelated stories, which come together in a violent conclusion.   The main action takes place over a few hours one evening in Manila.  The first part is about an Englishman called Sean, who is waiting in a run-down hotel for a gangster boss and his henchmen to arrive and kill him.  Why you would hang around if you knew someone was coming to shoot you, I have no idea.  The second part is about a lady called Rosa and her family, who live in a more prosperous part of the city and the third part is about 2 homeless teenage boys, who are friends.  The author explains at the back that a tesseract is a hypercube unravelled.  That meant nothing to me, so I looked it up and the definitions I found say it is a 4 dimensional cube. That doesn't mean anything to me either!  and I don't really see the relevance to the book. 5/10

October 9th 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment